Thursday, June 4, 2015

Lucky number 9?

9 has always been my family's "lucky" number. All 4 of us have 9 in our birthday, with my brother and I both having birthdays on the 9th (of different months). So I'm hoping that it's a good sign that we ended up with 9 embryo biopsies to send for genetic testing. As my Dr said, he's cautiously optimistic at this point.....it is a good number to start with, but we are all aware that it will be very possible for us to get back 1,2, or 0 that turn out to be genetically normal. The Dr actually showed me a sample test report when we were talking about whether to do IVF from a couple that had a similar history to us and sent in 9 embryos for testing, getting 1 back as normal.

But, all we can do now is wait and see. It is 2 weeks to get the test results back and not much to do in the meantime. The embryos are all re-frozen and waiting, and I'll start the process sometime in the next week of medicine to get me prepared to (hopefully) do a transfer. I'm not sure exactly what the protocol is at this point but I know it involves taking supplemental estrogen and then at some point taking progesterone shots to "trick" my body into thinking it's pregnant to prep for an embryo.

It's certainly nice to know that we have had at least one step start to go right, but funny enough it's almost served as more of a reminder to us about all of the rest of the thousands of things that will have to go right to end up with a baby. But, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment