Tuesday, April 16, 2024

7?!

 Owen turned 7 yesterday. It seems like it has simultaneously been the blink of an eye and a lifetime since I was pregnant with him, so excited but nervous about what was to come after all of the miscarriages.

I can't imagine not knowing this kid. He just melts my heart with his kindness and intelligence and curiosity about the world. It's been a joy to watch him grow up and see how he has gone through starting school, playing more sports, and learning more about the wider world. If nothing else my aim is to give him a rock solid base of knowing that he is loved exactly how he is and the encouragement to go explore the world. And along the way to be kind and loving to others. That's it. 

We have had a few birthday celebrations so far, brought chocolate chip cookies into his school on Friday, then on his actual birthday on Sunday we had a family dinner (he got to pick the menu - cheeseburgers and ice cream sundaes!) and then we're having a party for the boys in his class on Saturday. Watching as the class sang happy birthday to him on Friday I could see so much of myself in him, as it was clear he wasn't the most comfortable standing up in front of everyone but at the same time felt special being up there. It's always the conflict right, that I want him to be his own person but at the same time I want to encourage him to do things differently than I did - ideally to be bolder and less nervous around crowds and to own the experience of being in front and to enjoy it.

Kid was so excited for his sundae that he went and got the candles out of the drawer himself so that we could get on with singing and get to the ice cream eating :) He is so great and I can't wait to see what the next year holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment