Tuesday, April 23, 2024

No shirts to wear

 Owen was really frustrated this morning - he had a "free dress" pass for school - he typically wears a uniform- and while you think that would make things easier he had a really hard time figuring out what he wanted to wear. The kid usually wears shorts and a tshirt any chance he gets but today is a little cooler and he had decided he wanted a long sleeved shirt. Then he decided that his 2 long sleeved shirts that he normally likes were "jackets" not shirts. Then he was upset that he wanted a shirt with a sports team, and all of those are short sleeved shirts. You can see where this is going - he was one big mess of frustration and anger over not liking his choices.

After dropping him at school (wearing a short sleeved shirt under one of the sub-optimal long sleeved shirts) I realized that his frustrations are the exact same as what I've been feeling related to my current job situation. I was laid off from the startup I was with in the fall, and since then have been doing some part time work and trying to figure out what else it is that I most want to do. Part of me doesn't want to do the startup thing anymore, because of the volatility and craziness it entails. I also don't want "big" company - too much beauracracy and BS work and not enough impact. I'm not a pure digital marketer. I'm not a technical data analyst. I haven't had a C-level title. It can feel a lot of the time like I don't have the "right" skills and knowledge, and then I can start to doubt myself about the experience I do have.

But when I get over that, like Owen finally did this morning, I'm left with the options in front of me, there are no magical unicorn options to be had that are exactly the perfect gig I want. The best thing I can do is remind myself that my experience is valuable, and to keep going - to set up more networking calls, look for industry events that I can attend, and also put my head down and do some work on the part time gig that I do have. Keep going, and take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment