Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Longest Shortest Time

I am stealing the name of this post from a site that one of my dear college friends sent me a link to. She specifically sent me a link to this podcast:



For anyone who is interested in listening, I would say a few things:

- first, I think it was a very well done piece
- But, it is fairly long (over 30 min) and I found it a bit disheartening for someone in my position

Why disheartening? Because it follows the story of a woman and her husband who tried to have kids for over 10 years, through miscarriage, IUI, IVF, trying to adopt, FINALLY becoming successful at having a child through a surrogate.

I can't even imagine waiting that long. But at the same time, I can easily see how it could happen. You go down one treatment path and it takes a few months, only to go down the next one. At one point she had a miscarriage at 20 weeks. That's 5 months in folks.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to say it's a race, and I will be the first to admit that I am a very impatient person. But I would have an extremely hard time having my entire 30s go by childless. It's something I don't even want to think about at this point, which is why I think that listening was hard for me.

I certainly don't know how things are going to pan out for Jacob and I, but I would imaging reaching a point, in the not too distant future, where we will do whatever it takes- fertility, domestic adoption, international adoption- to have a child. I know we have ideas of which of those we would prefer, but at some point I think my desire to be a mom will override anything else.

Thanks again to my friend for the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment