Friday, August 22, 2014

Guest Blog- Rachel

My college roommate, Rachel, is a brilliant doctor, wife, and mother of two beautiful boys and graciously agreed to let me post what she sent to me in response to the blog:

I know I have told you about the miscarriage that we had between Liam and Rowan and I know that having one is nothing like having three, but over the course of that year (of trying, miscarrying, and trying again), I could definitely relate to some of the sentiments that you shared.  

We started trying for #2 in June 2011....After four months I was pregnant.  We went to Florida on a trip at 7 weeks, just before the first doctors appt.  I FELT so pregnant and was very cavalier about telling ALL my family and friends down there that we were expecting again....Only to be so deeply disappointed and devastated when there as no heartbeat at our appt a few weeks later.  Christmas that year was tough so say the least.

We started trying again as soon as we could.  In my residency program of 15, it seemed everyone else was trying to get pregnant too.  Tracy (due June 2012....a few weeks before I *would* have been due....a constant, painful reminder), Siri (due Oct 2012), Emily( due Jan 2013), Lixia (due Feb 2013), Julie (May 2013).  It took until July 2012 to conceive again and I swear those months of trying, wondering, stressing were among the longest of my life.  These women were all my friends but I was too bitter and jealous to listen to them talk about their pregnancies.  Unlike Facebook, I couldn't avoid them and seeing them all pregnant and happy everyday at work was like a slap in the face ;( 

During those months of trying I did all I could to help increase my odds of conceiving....I read WAY too many blogs/websites.  Sex was no longer fun but was a chore.  I went for weekly acupuncture (which was an expensive form of torture, BTW, and didn't help) and took weird herbal supplements given to me by a sketchy Chinese herbalist.  I also had a hystersosalpingogram (which was normal) and was prepared to go on fertility meds (if nothing happened by Sept 2012).  

During this time it was very helpful to me to hear stories of others who had gone through something similar and to know that I was not alone.  

----------

Thank you for sharing Rachel!



No comments:

Post a Comment